15 January 2009

Back to normal

Okay...we can all breathe a collective sigh of relief! All photographic evidence of my children is still intact!!!!! Apparently the other computers' motherboard died but the drive was still fine. George got some contraption that will allow us to use the drive from the old computer as a back up drive (the computer guy removed it from the old computer). We also have another hard drive floating around our house that can be put in this thingy he got & use it as storage as well...hooray! I would post some pictures just to share the joy but I can't upload them yet because it keeps telling me I am missing something that is required to upload and I have no idea what it is talking about so it will have to wait until George is home and NOT working...maybe this weekend...

Emily is still in love with school. Her class has started to keep a reading log. She brings home two easy readers a night and we have to write down what she read and how long it took. It is supposed to take 15 minutes...it takes about 1 minute for her to read both and about another minute to tell me about them...we add her skinny book club books to the list and that takes about 15 minutes (if we include the time it takes her to write the report for her book club). I asked Emily if they ever read out loud at school and she said sometimes. I asked her if she liked it and the conversation went something like this:
me: do you like to read out load at school?
her: everyone gets a chance, it's not just me
me: but is it fun Em?
her: everyone isn't as good at it as me
me: well Em, everyone needs a chance, that's how they will get better
her: if they have a chance and can't do it, I should be able to do it for them...
that would be a better way!
I am glad she has self confidence but a little charity would be nice too don't you think? She did tell me later not to worry, she didn't actually tell any kids in her class that they didn't read very well, that's something...

Ella and I were at Publix the other day and she say a magazine cover of Barack Obama.
This is how that conversation went:
her: is that rockin bama?
me: yes, that is Barack Obama.
her: is he going to be the new president?
me: yes, he will be our new president.
her: when?
me: next week...just a few more days.
her: we need a better president that we have now huh?
me: yes, I think we do.
after a pause...
her: mommy, is rockin' bama Little Bill's daddy?
(Little Bill is a cartoon on Noggin about a little african american boy,
basically it's Bill Cosby)
me: no Beans, he is not. Barack Obama is a real person, Little Bill is a cartoon
character.
her: well, they both wear brown skin mommy!

I love my girls :)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently one can store masses of files in the ether,internet, on something like Picaso but there are loads of others. this would surely safeguard them for ever.
Your GIRLS are great Just keep doing a rounded and positive job with them and they will turn out fine.Well done.