01 December 2008

My issues and the house (not related)

Okay so you know me right? I like order and symmetry. I think that there is a place for everything and that everything should be in its place. I like order and rules for everything I do, I like rules a lot :) I do not like chaos, I do not live on the edge... I like predictability, otherwise I just don't function well. I have issues and I am okay with them. That said, my children actually asked if they could help me decorate the Christmas tree this year. My heart started pounding, I think I even started to sweat...children, decorate my tree?!?! No, it can't happen they won't do it right. I remember I didn't do it right. I used to put like 5 ornaments in one spot, normally a light wire, and thought it was pretty. How could they decorate the tree without me being nauseous all season long...you all remember Ella's room right??? I have to just not look at it, I can't handle it at all... it makes me need Xanax!!!!





So I had an idea, I would get them each a little tree for their rooms like they had last year, except that one melted because I had to put a tree skirt on it which apparently made the motor over heat and the tree tipped over about 5 times a day ...I can't do that again and NO I can't just not have a tree skirt, this is me we are talking about and I think that tree skirts are made for a reason, you NEED them. So plan B, I got a tree for the play room. I tried to be as whimsical as I could stand...it is a pink tinsel tree. Then I took the girls to the store, showed them the ornaments for a tree the size of theirs (4ft), and told them to pick out what ever colors they wanted. I was going on the theory that if I had allowed a 4ft pre-lit pink tinsel tree in my house, how could their color selections really make it any worse. My little girls scoured all the ornaments. They picked them all up and inspected every last one. In the end Ella picked 2 boxes of gold ornaments and Emily picked 2 boxes of red ones...red and gold, just like the big tree. It sounds weird to have red on a pink tree, at least to me, but it actually doesn't look awful...that's as positive as I can be :) Anyway, I think it looks cute, you be the judge...


In house news, we are well on our way to completing the projects that need to be completed by my self-imposed deadline of Christmas. George fixed the horribleness that was the kitchen wall...the border ripped off about 50 layers of paint and wallboard yesterday and then painted a bit of one wall only to discover that the color we wanted was not the same as the color we got. The current wall is way too green and not nearly grey enough...I got more paint today and we'll try that out after the girls are in bed. He was able to remove the "guardrail" that was decorating the tops of my kitchen cabinets, I was so pleased. The long term goal is to replace all the cabinets but for now, we'll just live with them. Here is his handy work...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

tree looks great for a first attempt. cabinet very much better