02 December 2008

Birthday phone call...

My birthday is tomorrow, December 3rd. I get a phone call every year on my birthday. My grandmother calls and sings, not says...sings, Happy Birthday, the whole song, and then apologizes for her voice...then we both laugh. Last year she called and she sang "Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you Liz" and then said that was enough, she apologized for her voice but neither of us laughed...we just chatted for a moment. That was it, the last time I spoke to her. She passed away 17 days later...December 20, 2007. I will miss her call this year.

1 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm so sorry you won't be getting that birthday call this year. My Granny did the same thing, only she would call me, tell me what a really ugly baby I was when I was born, then tell me how I grew up to be so beautiful. It probably doesn't sound all that sweet, but it was, and I loved it. I got that last birthday call four years ago.

Happy Birthday, and I'm sure your grandmother will still be singing for you tomorrow.