20 March 2009

105!!!!

Soon after Emily's parent teacher conference she started acting unwell. I took her temperature right after dinner and it was 103.4 F! I told her if it didn't go down to 99 (her normal) she couldn't go to school on Wednesday. She was, um, displeased to say the least. She woke up Wednesday with 105.something!!!! HOLY COW!!!! I was afraid we were going to have to go to the ER! I gave her Motrin & within 20 minutes it was down to 100 so I knew she was going to be okay. She was fine for about 6 hours and then her fever started coming back, more Motrin and she was fine again...didn't need anything else that day. She woke up Thursday with 104, better but still so high! She actually asked if she could stay home...my poor baby! She had no fever this morning so she went to school. Should I have kept her home another day? Protocol says yes, keep the child home for a day after a high fever but they don't know my child. I know she was calmer, more relaxed (therefore better able to fight off any remaining virus) at school than she would have been at home AND she probably got the virus at school so it's not like the other kids hadn't already been exposed (remember, she went Tuesday and was sick Tuesday night).
I also hear that sending your kids back to school IMMEDIATELY following an illness gets bonus points for Mother of the Year ;)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am concerned that she seems to have an awful lot of high temps, not that you send her back a day early.X